Close

    • All dragstrips are not created equal - Why running at ATCO in the winter is basically cheating

      Atco Dragway located in New Jersey is arguably the quickest and fastest strip in the country. Hell, maybe the world. Along with MIR (Maryland International Raceway) these dragstrips are magical places where C6 Z06's run 10's stock and records fall left and right when winter hits.


      Why? Excellent track prep, great location, great weather, and a staff that knows what it is doing.

      When we say great prep we are not exaggerating:



      A launch pad that rips your shoes off is a nice place to get a good 60 foot time, right? They don't skimp on the VHT.

      The prep is one part the weather is the other. You will notice all of these record runs we see have something in common. They take place in the winter.

      What is the density altitude at ATCO as of this writing? -726 feet below sea level. That is what 46 degrees at 8 AM gets you at the ATCO dragstrip.

      -726 isn't even anything special. You can see the density altitude dip well past -2000 feet below sea level.

      How big of an advantage is this? Big. Almost 3/10's of a second and 4 miles per hour of trap speed for a naturally aspirated car breaking into the 10's:


      It varies based on aspiration, modifications, and so forth but you get the idea.

      Based on this information you should now know and be able to tell those people waving fast East Coast slips achieved during the winter as evidence of their cars being faster they they are actually providing evidence of their run conditions being better. Nobody running in Las Vegas or the Middle East is going to be able to compete on a level playing field.

      Quite simply, all dragstrips are not created equal.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: All dragstrips are not created equal - Why running at ATCO in the winter is basically cheating started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 13 Comments
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        What's funny about it is that these same people will test all year long and not present a single slip until Oct-Nov.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F16HTON Click here to enlarge
        What's funny about it is that these same people will test all year long and not present a single slip until Oct-Nov.
        Just a coincidence... I'm sure.
      1. nbrigdan's Avatar
        nbrigdan -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        That is what 46 degrees at 8 AM gets you at the ATCO dragstrip.
        That's ~8 degrees Celsius for readers from every other country in the world Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
        That's ~8 degrees Celsius for readers from every other country in the world Click here to enlarge
        Click here to enlarge
      1. nbrigdan's Avatar
        nbrigdan -
        So only a 33% correlation? Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
        So only a 33% correlation? Click here to enlarge
        Beats zero!

        Click here to enlarge
      1. gzim335's Avatar
        gzim335 -
        must be the dumbest comment i read all week,i personally try to take advantage off everything i can,weight power weather grip etc thats how u break records,u cant fault someone for trying everything they can to push a platform to where its never been taken before
        that said
        not all cars break records at atco only the "fast" ones do lol
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gzim335 Click here to enlarge
        must be the dumbest comment i read all week,i personally try to take advantage off everything i can,weight power weather grip etc thats how u break records,u cant fault someone for trying everything they can to push a platform to where its never been taken before
        that said
        not all cars break records at atco only the "fast" ones do lol
        You're right but this isn't targeting you... this is a general article on how conditions vary.

        You're taking it personally because you just set a record at ATCO.
      1. Roadkillrob's Avatar
        Roadkillrob -
        delete
      1. DFM's Avatar
        DFM -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gzim335 Click here to enlarge
        must be the dumbest comment i read all week,i personally try to take advantage off everything i can,weight power weather grip etc thats how u break records,u cant fault someone for trying everything they can to push a platform to where its never been taken before
        that said
        not all cars break records at atco only the "fast" ones do lol
        You have completely missed the point of the post. Sticky is trying to say that times from ATCO shouldn't be compared with times from the average strip. This is because ATCO has a documented history of being one of the fastest tracks world wide. That is all @Sticky is saying.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
        You have completely missed the point of the post. Sticky is trying to say that times from ATCO shouldn't be compared with times from the average strip. This is because ATCO has a documented history of being one of the fastest tracks world wide. That is all @Sticky is saying.
        Exactly.

        If I could I'd run at ATCO too. It's an awesome strip with great prep.

        I'm highlighting that conditions have a huge impact on times and this needs to be taken into account by people more.
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tnh...o-raceway/amp/
        stock 720s goes 9.7 at Atco

        previous boostaddict article of turbo s vs 720s shows stock 720s doing 10.0 in palm beach

        0.3 seconds is about right.....
      1. Markblackwell's Avatar
        Markblackwell -
        Lot of records of late being set there! Just the facts good article Sticky